Hollow Point Racing  

Instagram

-- WELCOME TO HOLLOW POINT RACING --    --
Go Back   Hollow Point Racing > The Garage > Member Builds

Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
Venom351R
95 R Inside
12 Second Club

Ive always run the autolight 3924's and have had no issues with them.

BTW I meant spark plug wires. Those 3924's can be bought at any parts store. The Wires I got were the wrong set and the right set is on back order.
1994 SVT Cobra #42 of 5009/ 95 Cobra R drivetrain

Performance- FTI Trickflow CNC 234HR High Ports/ Edelbrock Victor 5.8/FTI Camshaft/Acufab 75MM TB/ PMAS 95MM Velocity Meter/Tremec 3550

Chassis/Suspension- 6 Point Cage/Welded Subframes / Maximum Motorsport LCA/ Team Z UCA / Team Z K Member/ Team Z coilovers/ Strange 10 way Shocks & Struts

Exhaust- Magnaflow Catback/ Custom H Pipe/Accufab 1 3/4 Long Tubes

Misc- FMS 4.10/ Centerforce clutch/Moser 31 Spline axles/FMS 31 spline limited slip differential

Venom351R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #17
Venom351R
95 R Inside
12 Second Club

Long time no post, figured Id fill you guys in on whats been going on and why this build thread dropped off the face of the internet. Its a long story so I'll condense it as much as possible.

The car got put back together and running last summer and everything was looking great. I took the car down to Pro Tree performance to have dana fix the exhaust since the catback fitment was way off due to the long tubes. He had to fab up a custom 3"mid pipe b/c the prochamber I had bought was hitting the drive shaft safety loop right where the big square box is on the prochamber and driving the exhaust down into the ground. He got it all taken care of and I was 1 day away from the dyno tune when I got a call from him saying my heads where leaking oil. He ran the dye through the system and my heads were deff leaking. I had just started my vacation so I was faced with either going to get the car and spending my vacation redoing the head gaskets or having his shop do them. I told him to go ahead and do it. Turns out the head gaskets never sealed properly. MR Gasket sucks, never use them ALWAYS USE FELPRO.

In between all of this his dyno got fried last summer by a lighting storm so my dyno day could not be done anytime soon b/c he was so backed up. I went down to pick the car up and bring it back another time for the tune. When I got there he had the car on the dyno and said he just wanted to see what the new combo was going to pull before we went ahead w/ the dyno tune later on. With the new heads and the long tubes I should have been looking at a huge pick up in power as compared to the AFR 185's and short tube headers. It put down 338 on that combo. Granted the car was not tuned and the timing base was at 10* but it still should have showed a big improvement from where it was at with the tune from the old combo. All said and done the dyno spit out the number or 349. Both of us stood there not knowing what to think. Dana took all my cam specs, cylinder head specs, engine specs and sent the all to his engine builder and the conclusion was made that this car should pull around 430 at the wheels once tuned, so where was all my missing power? There is no way I was picking up 80 RWHP from an N/A custom tune so something else was wrong.

Being really discouraged with all of this, and all of the money I had spent in those mods and the shop fee's to dana for fixing the exhaust and redoing the head gaskets I just took the car home and parked it. I did not drive it again from last Aug to where we are today. I did not touch it all winter long, did not even take the battery out. I didn't give a shit about it and did not want anything to do with it. Figuring it might be a compression problem and if so it would be an expensive fix so I did not care to do much with it.

Recently I started the process of narrowing down what really is wrong with the car. I had all kinds of suggestions. I checked the lower port alignment to the heads and that looks good. My balancer is not out of wack so my timing is correct. The only way I could find out what is wrong was to rule out what was not wrong. Just recently I found out something that may be the root cause of all of this but I do not want to publicly say yet until I am 100% sure but I already know it is the cause of some issues. If someone really wants to know you can PM me and I can give you more details but for now I'll keep it out of the public eye. And just so no one thinks the wrong thing it is nothing to do with Dana or protree performance, Dana was great through all of this and worked with me a lot as getting me a decent price on all the work he had to do. Tried to make this as short as possible but there was a lot to tell over the past year.

Performance- FTI Trickflow CNC 234HR High Ports/ Edelbrock Victor 5.8/FTI Camshaft/Acufab 75MM TB/ PMAS 95MM Velocity Meter/Tremec 3550

Chassis/Suspension- 6 Point Cage/Welded Subframes / Maximum Motorsport LCA/ Team Z UCA / Team Z K Member/ Team Z coilovers/ Strange 10 way Shocks & Struts

Misc- FMS 4.10/ Centerforce clutch/Moser 31 Spline axles/FMS 31 spline limited slip differential

Last edited by Venom351R; 04-17-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #18
TheCat033
The Green Monster
10 Second Club

Wow Travis ain't that a series of shitty luck, been seeing your pics of the car pop up on facebook wondered where you were lol

Hopefully what you think the problem is, is in fact the problem and you can have her going again for this season. :beerchug:

2001 DHG Mustang Bullitt #00293

2001 Black Mustang Bullitt #05466
TheCat033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
Venom351R
95 R Inside
12 Second Club

Thanks I appreciate it. I had given up on it for along time and even thought about selling it but as things calmed down I decided I wanted to get this the way it should be and I couldn't sell it anyway. I just recently started posting on Mustang sites again so it took awhile but Ive started to come back around.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
2001Bullitt
I <3 Corn

Wow man I hope you get it sorted out. Be nice to see that thing rolling around eventually.

2001 Bullitt #1701.... Borla Stinger exhaust, 70mm Turbo,UPR k-member,UPR lower front control arms, UPR coilover kit, UPR bumpsteer and rack bushings, UPR caster/camber plates, steeda rear lower control arms, SLP line lock, MGW shifter, 10.5 Black bullitts, 373s, SCT tuned, Anderson F52 blower cams, yada yada 373Hp/393Tq on 6lbs.....

1997 Jeep Cherokee. 4.0 5-spd 3inch lift on 31s. 224k and still going stong! Ford Fuel injector mod, high flow cat, magnaflow exhaust, FOR SALE!!!
2001Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #21
candyroush

Keep us posted!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #22
Venom351R
95 R Inside
12 Second Club

Just took it out for a trip around the block. Feels so different compared to the STI, hard to tell if I just need more seat time getting used to how it drives or if there is actually something wrong lol. The back end felt so lose but I'm sure its just me.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #23
Venom351R
95 R Inside
12 Second Club

Got a well needed bath today.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #24
mellis
Fackin destroying tires

Looks real nice!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #25
fieldy301
Ginger

Welcome back...Hopefully you can get everything figured out...
Old 04-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #26
Venom351R
95 R Inside
12 Second Club

Thanks guys, I'll know more on Monday and hopefully it will be the end to this problem.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #27
Venom351R
95 R Inside
12 Second Club

Well I got some results today and things are looking much better. The car feels like it should despite a few more tweaks. It has some great pull to it. I did not take it for much of a test drive but for what I did wow what a difference I was thoroughly impressed.

I suppose I should get down to the root of what was causing all of this. Before I say anything I am not trying to stir the pot, stir shit or publicly slam anyone. But with that said I was also a paying customer, paid a good amount of money for a service and got shit in the end. Thus this is more of a public service announcement of a displeased customer more so then anything. The final proof of all of this will be a dyno run. I will take the car as it is now with no other changes other then what I am about to discuss and go to the same dyno and I can already tell it is going to make more power then what it did before.

I made a thread on another site I post on saying I was going to start the process of trying to figure out what was wrong w/ the Cobra by going down a check list an eliminating things step by step until I found out what it was. Another forum member who lives down in RI offered to take a look at my tune for me just to see if there was anything in there that did not seem right. I took out my SCT chip and sent it down to him and a few days later he posted some results of what he found. And basically what he found was a whole bunch of fucked up shit with my tune. I will post what he said since it will make more sense then me trying to explain it.

Well, I'm not too sure on how to approach making this post. If some of you get lost, i'm sorry.

Looking through Travis' tune, it was immediately made clear to me that his tuner was afraid to make power. There are some very obvious things that were clearly overlooked, as well as some things where he just plain dropped the ball.

Hurdle #1. Why I hate "calibrated" mafs.
The below attached image is a collection from his tunes basic fueling settings.

In the main image, you will see the MAF transfer function for his maf. If you notice where I circled in red, this is where the injector calculations switch from using the "high slope" value to the "low slope" value. It is a very common first step in tuning the CBAZA ECM, specifically the J4J1 as both the high and low slopes are set the same (stupid engineers). The green line looks to be pulling away from the red line. The green is his programmed transfer function, and the red line is the stock curve. This is referred to as "maf curve peeling". Very easy to fix if you can datalog and have a wideband.

As a secondary image, you will see a box with PID in the top left. These are some basic injector scaling settings. This is where you will see that his Injector High Slope and Injector Low Slope are programmed the same. In reality, the injector low slope should be closer to 28-30.

The next image down is the Cranking Pulsewidth vs ECT (engine coolant temp). I have both his programmed values and the stock values side by side. Trav, if you have problems with the car cranking too long, stumbling after cranking, surgind idle or even maybe the need to hit the gas a few times to get the car started... this is why.

Next I wanted to look at his actual commanded fuel tables.

This next image is a shot comparing the commanded open loop AFR that is programmed into Trav's chip.. Followed by the way it is tuned from the factory... followed by MY OL AFR map. You will notice that at anything under 50% load, the programmed map commands a stoich AFR. This is really good for emissions, sorta good for fuel consumption... but terrible for performance. Then you will notice that his map makes a large and very sharp jump from stoich to 13.04 at 2000rpm and up over 50% load. Its incomplete... Definitely needs to be refined.

When compared to my map, you will see that at idle, I have a very respectable 14.98 commanded. This is a trick I use to prevent idle surging, which is caused by a rich condition at idle. Anything 30% load and below gets bumped to a more power friendly 14:1 and smoothly transitions to 12.47 at 70% load and higher. Adding some fuel to this tune should help when we put some more timing in.

You might also notice that my RPM scaling is different. It might not mean much with this fueling table, but when we get to the spark maps, youll see why it's like that!

Looking at the Spark BP Bias table, the ECM will utilize the Altitude table only when calclated barometric pressure is below 26.5, and anything above there it will average the matching cells in a 50/50 ratio. In laymane terms, it adds the X/Y cells together and divides by two. At 4000 rpm and WOT, his car would command 25.5 degrees and at 5000 would be 27. Pure poo poo.

I am not too happy with these timing tables, so I'll be fiddling with them a little bit.

The CBAZA Strategy utilizes a load sclaing somewhat like speed density. Because of that fact, the ECM needs to know the displacement of the engine to properly calculate its load. If the ECM thinks you have a 157 CI engine and you are pulling 1100 kg/m of airflow, your load would be damn near 165%.

This image shows your tune vs the stock J4J1 (your ecm) value... then I also tossed in some figures from the ZA0 (95 Cobra R ECM).

Look at Air - Engine Displacement... See anything wrong?( My ECU was thinking my engine was 157 Cubic Inch's WTF???!!!??!!!)

So in a nut shell my tune was just all fucked up. The car was not tuned for this combo, this was off from my 185's and TFSR intake. But it does not excuse all the irregularities and straight up crap that was wrong with this tune. My ECU thought it was a 157 CID engine? Seriously? and I was leaving almost 5* of timing off the table at WOT. I paid for a custom tune and all I got out of this was a bump in the timing and a read out showing my A/F was safe. This was no where close to a "Custom Tune" Not sure about you guys and you my feel different but I will never ever support suggest or advise anyone to go to Performance Dyno......EVER.

I got the chip back today from Keith, put it in the car and took it out for a drive. Holy shit what a difference. It actually has nut now. I cant believe the half ass job I was given for $450. Pure trash. If any of you guys want Keiths Info I can get it for you. The guy done some amazing stuf w/ tuning and he is going to continue to help me with my tune to further refine it w/ some data logging. Really good straight up guy who knows his shit, as you can clearly see from someone who is suppose to be a "professional Tuner"

Last edited by Venom351R; 04-22-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #28
GraffitiRR

i would bring all this known knowledge to him on paper and demand refund
GraffitiRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #29
candyroush

Glad you seem to have it sorted out, looks like you have found a good tuner. The tune is the most important factor in having a safe, well running engine. There are very few people I trust with this task. Its a lot of money to risk, especially in boosted application.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #30
Venom351R
95 R Inside
12 Second Club

well I'm just lucky it was not running on the edge of doing damage and being NA it was a lot more forgiving.

I forgot to post this before with the rest of the info. Its a break down of all the changes that were done. We are going to try and meet up at NED soon so he can do some data logging and fine tune it. Once this is done and I get it back on the dyno Id like to present all this to performance dyno and see what is said.

Venom351R tune refinement Cliffs Notes:
MIL delay time - reduced
Air charge correction factor - set for no clipping
TB airflow value corrected
Displacement value corrected
Transmission ratios set to T5 values (instead of AODE)
Ignition table scales adjusted (RPM and Load)
Fuel - Open loop base table - remapped
Fuel - Open loop stabilized table - remapped (added fuel)
Fuel - Open loop startup table - remapped
Injector - Cranking PW changed for larger injectors
Spark logic reduced to single table reference
Spark - Borderline and Altitude (disabled)
Spark - Sea level - remapped (added 4.5* total timing)
Spark - TIP in Retard (disabled)

Total cells changed from old tune: 486