Instagram

-- WELCOME TO HOLLOW POINT RACING --    --
Go Back   Hollow Point Racing > The Parking Lot > Hollow Point Bar

Old 03-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
robs400
Still Slow

Default New Job - Looking for "new" vehicle options

Hey Guys...been a while.

I ended up accepting a job offer recently that will require me to drive around 30-35kmi/year. The company offers two vehicles that I could take (minivan or a mid size sedan) however they also offer a monthly dollar value to use your own vehicle which is what I am leaning towards. Its been a long time since I have thought about buying any type of vehicle so I dont even really know what is out there.

I could go cheap for a year or two an get by with my old truck perhaps and keep the money the company would give me to put a big down payment on something nice in 2 years...but part of me wants to just get something decent now as I will be spending so much time in it.

Gas mileage DOES not matter, as the company covers gas so I have been leaning towards a truck as it will allow me to get rid of mine, but I could always keep my old truck for truck duty and find a decent car to drive as well. Really the goal is to find something RELIABLE - I do not want to tinker with it...just drive it. AWD would be nice for my driveway, but its not a must. 4 doors would also be a plus for taking customers out to lunch etc.

Price wise I am thinking 20k or under, maybe slightly higher. Let me know what you guys think. I have some friends telling me to get an STI, others are saying S4, I was leaning towards a ram 1500...so I'm kinda all over the place here....
Old 04-04-2015, 03:52 AM   #2
Boosted SUV
NEMotorSport.com

I think I'd just take the company sedan

2004 Subaru Forester XT - Built Motor(Weisco,eagle,king,Sti crank/cams/heads/oil pump) 332whp/334wtq @20lbs w/slipping clutch.
1982 VW Rabbit - Gti swap , Built Head(P&P,valve job, 272 cam,shaved head) , Polly bushing everywhere , custom widend OEM steelies .
1990 VW Corrado- Fully built 16vT, engine on a stand waiting for money.
Boosted SUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:48 PM   #3
tigersgotwood

I just bought an 06 BMW 330xi 6 speed and am in love with it to be quite honest. The awd is great, the 6 speed is fun enough, the car makes ~260hp, gets 26mpg combined, and there are more options than I know what to do with compared to the cobra. The motors and trannys are pretty bullet-proof but there is always that expensive-to-fix bmw stereotype. If you do the work yourself its really not that bad, just avoid the dealership at all costs

it honestly depends what your looking for. you mentioned 4 door, all-wheel drive, and that gas mileage doesnt particularly matter. How about manual/auto, turbo or NA, classy or doesn't matter?
Old 04-12-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
tigersgotwood

also on the STi or wrx topic in general... if your looking for one more than a year or two old they are mostly beat to shit. Open/closed loops for emissions cause the cars AFR curves to look real funky. Factory tunes are horseshit and as you know the motors unfortunately dont hold up to the beating that inevitably is thrust upon them.

With that being said, I would happily take one if i could find a nice one. I just couldn't take the constant "strikeout" of going to look at an STi, being told the car was mint, and driving an hour and a half just to find it beat to shit. Literally drove all over gods earth looking for one and just ended up buying the first 330xi i went to go look at.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #5
03' whitesnake
11 Second Club

I love my 2010 fusion. You can almost get a new fusion for 20k. I get awesome mileage and is very comfortable to drive.

2.8 KB, all the supporting mods. 694 hp / 674 tq on corn and 611 hp/ 602 tq on 93
03' whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:26 AM   #6
Boosted SUV
NEMotorSport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersgotwood View Post
also on the STi or wrx topic in general... if your looking for one more than a year or two old they are mostly beat to shit. Open/closed loops for emissions cause the cars AFR curves to look real funky. Factory tunes are horseshit and as you know the motors unfortunately dont hold up to the beating that inevitably is thrust upon them.

With that being said, I would happily take one if i could find a nice one. I just couldn't take the constant "strikeout" of going to look at an STi, being told the car was mint, and driving an hour and a half just to find it beat to shit. Literally drove all over gods earth looking for one and just ended up buying the first 330xi i went to go look at.
My buddy got a 07 330xi loaded with every option available. It's ridiculous the stuff it has. I think he paid 15k , very nice for a DD. Replacing the alternator is stupid though, books 8hrs or something stupid and was 3-400 for a rebuilt alternator. Just helped him do it last month ... Sucked so bad. Lol

2004 Subaru Forester XT - Built Motor(Weisco,eagle,king,Sti crank/cams/heads/oil pump) 332whp/334wtq @20lbs w/slipping clutch.
1982 VW Rabbit - Gti swap , Built Head(P&P,valve job, 272 cam,shaved head) , Polly bushing everywhere , custom widend OEM steelies .
Old 04-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #7
robs400
Still Slow

Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up getting a 13 ram 1500. The dealer offered squat for trade on my truck so I ended up selling it private sale instead. Had the "new" truck nearly 3 weeks now and have put around 1000 miles on it and so far I love it.

Its the first Chrysler product I have ever owned so I'll see how it holds up. I'm sure everyone has a preference or an opinion on a new truck, but realistically, they all make great trucks and all of them are a huge upgrade from what I was driving - although I do miss the old F150.

I'll post a pic up when I get a chance. Its the quad cab with a the hemi and 6spd auto. The ride is great for a truck and has decent power, I think it will keep me happy for a bit. I'm debating selling off some stuff as this will now be my daily during the week and most of the time on the weekends as well...time will tell.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #8
tigersgotwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted SUV View Post
My buddy got a 07 330xi loaded with every option available. It's ridiculous the stuff it has. I think he paid 15k , very nice for a DD. Replacing the alternator is stupid though, books 8hrs or something stupid and was 3-400 for a rebuilt alternator. Just helped him do it last month ... Sucked so bad. Lol
Does he want to code it??? I have all the software and cables for all e and f chasis
Old 05-14-2015, 06:33 AM   #9
Boosted SUV
NEMotorSport.com

He has the thing all hacked . he has the software and stuff. He has the new version GPS installed on it. Don't remember what else he has done.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #10
tigersgotwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted SUV View Post
He has the thing all hacked . he has the software and stuff. He has the new version GPS installed on it. Don't remember what else he has done.
The beauty of BMWs